Last week Brisbane said goodbye to the cutest bookstore its ever seen. Atavist Books has been gracing Winn Lane for two years with its wooden walls, cosy space, old book smell and just recently, its Tuesday night book club held
every 6 weeks.
The closure of one of Brisbane's few independent boutique businesses is, yet again, a strong reminder to shop local as often as you can.
It seems like not so long ago that I was reading about Atavist in Frankie magazine, marvelling at the photo of this lovely, tiny store. Now here I was, taking photos for Sian (the woman behind this delightful pint-sized shop) before Atavist closed its doors for the last time.
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Friday, February 07, 2014
If you'd really love to have photos of you that aren't arm-length selfies taken on your phone, I could totally help you with that.
As some of you know, I have been fundraising for the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). I recently hit the halfway mark for my fundraising and I'm aiming to smash the last half of my target before the middle of the year.
If you donate $100 or more on my fundraising page between now and Friday, 14th March and get a 2 hour portrait photoshoot from me (approx. value $400), as a gift to thank you for your generosity and support. Portraits always make a great gift for your family, your lover, or even yourself!
- This offer only applies to people living in South-East Queensland (Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast)! Trust me, if I could fly interstate to thank you for your support, I would. Hugs would be given.
- The more you donate, the more time we can spend taking photos!
- Five high-resolution photos will be given to you when editing is complete.
- This photoshoot gift doesn't just apply to couples. Professional headshots of yourself, photos with your pet, your sister/brother, your best friend—whoever you want, really!—are more than welcome.
- We can take photos at a location of your choice, whether that's at home, in your backyard, at your local park or at the beach.
- Photos can be taken anytime between now and August, even if the donation period is only for a month.
Bonus: Sharing is caring
- If somebody donates to my page because you donated and shared either this post or my fundraising page on your Facebook or Twitter, you can get an additional hour added to your own photoshoot.
Don't wait! Get sharing & donating for a good cause and get some pretty photos to boot. To donate and find out more about the cause, head to my fundraising page. Questions? Email me: email@example.com.
Wednesday, February 05, 2014
Two weeks ago I filmed four of Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary's koalas as they flew to their new home in Chimelong Safari Park, China. I was thrilled to be part of such a unique experience—it was the first, and may very well be the last time I get to film koalas, let alone film them on the tarmac.
Monday, January 13, 2014
In November 2010, as I graduated from my graphic design degree at the Queensland College of Art Gold Coast, Gold Coast Creative was first published.
Little was I to know that three years later, I would be featured in the very same magazine alongside some extra talented folk—fellow graduates and industry professionals alike—for “QCA Gold Coast's Alumni Awards for Outstanding Creative Achievement”.
My very big thanks goes out to Dominique and the team at Liveworm for asking me to be part of this.
If you would like to read the article, you can buy the magazine in select newsagents around Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney.
Wednesday, January 08, 2014
I normally include my Christmas photos in my year-in-review posts, but this year I took so many that I felt like they needed a post of their own. I've become more committed to photographing (and sharing) life, so I took more photos than usual.
Christmas in Brisbane means bright, white hot days and warmer evenings. Both my family and Martin's family celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, not Christmas Day, but seeing as Martin and I can't be in two places at once, our celebrations were staggered over two days.